Re: 20001114: ldmping

Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Hi Curtis!

There is a problem with the name service somewhere on your end.  Here's the
story:

For security reasons, the ldm wants to do a reverse name lookup for sites
requesting to be fed.  This is, an 'nslookup name' must return the same
information as an 'nslookup IP_addr'.  But for your machine, this doesn't
happen.  Here's what I get:
------
(anne) imogene:/upc/share/classes 24 % nslookup jupiter.pr.erau.edu
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Name:    jupiter.pr.erau.edu
Address:  198.60.3.28

(anne) imogene:/upc/share/classes 25 % nslookup 198.60.3.28
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find 198.60.3.28: Non-existent host/domain
------
If this isn't successful, you will be denied service.

Looking further, there appear to be problems with your name servers.  The first
server, slab.pr.ERAU.edu, maps the hostname to the IP address, but not the
reverse (see *** and **** below).  The second server, web.pr.ERAU.edu, doesn't
respond (see +++ and ++++ below).
-----
(anne) imogene:/upc/share/classes 30 % nslookup
Default Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

> set q=any
> jupiter.pr.erau.edu
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Non-authoritative answer:
jupiter.pr.erau.edu     internet address = 198.60.3.28

pr.ERAU.edu     nameserver = slab.pr.ERAU.edu
pr.ERAU.edu     nameserver = web.pr.ERAU.edu
slab.pr.ERAU.edu        internet address = 192.101.135.10
web.pr.ERAU.edu internet address = 192.101.135.9
> server slab.pr.ERAU.edu
Default Server:  slab.pr.ERAU.edu
Address:  192.101.135.10

> jupiter.pr.erau.edu  ***
Server:  slab.pr.ERAU.edu
Address:  192.101.135.10

jupiter.pr.erau.edu     internet address = 198.60.3.28
pr.erau.edu     nameserver = slab.pr.erau.edu
pr.erau.edu     nameserver = web.pr.erau.edu
slab.pr.erau.edu        internet address = 192.101.135.10
web.pr.erau.edu internet address = 192.101.135.9
> 198.60.3.28  ****
Server:  slab.pr.ERAU.edu
Address:  192.101.135.10

*** slab.pr.ERAU.edu can't find 198.60.3.28: Non-existent host/domain
> server web.pr.ERAU.edu
Default Server:  web.pr.ERAU.edu
Address:  192.101.135.9

> jupiter.pr.erau.edu  +++
Server:  web.pr.ERAU.edu
Address:  192.101.135.9

*** web.pr.ERAU.edu can't find jupiter.pr.erau.edu: No response from server
> 198.60.3.28  ++++
Server:  web.pr.ERAU.edu
Address:  192.101.135.9

*** web.pr.ERAU.edu can't find 198.60.3.28: No response from server
------
So, this is something you need to get straightened out on your end.  I'd start
by asking your system administrator, who may point you to someone else.

Good luck, and let me know what happens.

I'm glad you liked the workshop!  All feedback is appreciated, but the positive
ones always brighten my day!

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307