Re: RE; Apparent Latency Problem Solution

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Jim Koermer wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Last week, we had a good discussion on the latency problems that our
> school (Plymouth State) and others were experiencing over the FOS feed
> because of the injection of NOAAPORT NWSTG data into the stream. It
> seemed like more often than not that we were experiencing latencies > 60
> minutes and we were losing a great deal of data or getting it too late.
>
> Russ said a few things in his e-mail that got me thinking and
> experimenting, especially relating to the fact that some machines may
> not be able of handling all the rpc calls. In fact, our primary IDD
> machine was an 1996 vintage RS-6000 with ~67MHz processor and 256MB of
> RAM. It had been working well until the NOAAPORT (including ETA) data
> expansion.
>
> As a result, I had my feed sites, allow a much faster Dell PowerEdge
> server with dual PII-MHz processors and 1 GB RAM, to request data. I
> kept the IDS|DDPLUS feeds on the RS6000 and have MCIDAS and HDS data
> going into the Dell machine.
>
> Since doing this, my FOS latencies for DDPLUS|IDS are down to usually
> less than 2 minutes. I don't know the latency stats for the Dell, yet,
> since the stats perl script uses what I think is a non-ASCII option with
> "ls" (i.e. -x - we are working on an alternative). However, for about

Jim,

Glad you found some solutions to your data reception problems.

For the problem with mailpqstats, I believe the -x flag in the ls command
can be omitted without a problem. The important flag is the -r flag, it
causes the files to show with the latest one first, thus the most recent
data is sent to UPC.  Let me know if this doesn't work.

Robb...