Re: LDM queue on a NFS mount?

"eric.w.ribble.1" wrote:

> Hi Anne -
>
> It looks as if I`m going to begin moving our LDM to our new server here at
> Purdue.  I recall that you stressed on having the product queue on a local
> disk rather than on a NFS mounted disk.  The sys. admin here at school is
> VERY particular about things and he wants to have the queue on another
> disk rather than the local one.
>
> Can you give me valid and good reasons why we should keep the queue
> local?  I'd like to install and maintain the newly built LDM just like I
> was taught when I attended the workshop.
>
> Any information you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers -
>
> Eric Ribble
> Eric W. Ribble
> Purdue University
> Mesoscale Convection and Tornado Research Group (MCT)
> address@hidden
> http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble

Hi Eric!  Nice to hear from you.

Well, a valid and good reason for having the queue local is
that the LDM just won't work otherwise.  The queue is a
memory mapped file.  Memory mapped files don't work across
mounted file systems - the memory mapped file must be on a
local disk.

If your sys admin doesn't buy this, he could always write a
little test program to confirm it.

Hope this helps!

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307