LDM V5.1.3 information

>From: Russ Rew <address@hidden>

Jerry,

Here is the first email in the set that Anne has sent out this week.
Please let us know if there is anything that is unclear/missing.

Tom

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:33:45 -0700
From:    Anne Wilson <address@hidden>
To:      address@hidden, address@hidden,
         address@hidden, address@hidden,
         address@hidden
cc:      address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
         address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: LDM V5.1.3

Hello again to the IDD top level ingest sites,

Version 5.1.3 of the LDM is available.  Two changes are of
particular interest to top level ingest sites.  One is a
change to pqing that will put radar products under the
NEXRAD feed types.  The other is a change in the signature
calculation that improves duplicate detection.

IMPORTANT ITEM #1:  You must make a new queue before
starting this version.

IMPORTANT ITEM #2:  Before restarting the LDM, you must
change your current invocation of pqing to include the -5
option, a flag that affects how the signature is
calculated.

In version 5.1.3 the signature calculation has been changed
to skip a product's sequence number.  This way products that
are identical except for their sequence numbers will be
considered duplicates.

It is our goal to use this new method in the signature
calculation.  However, we must coordinate making this change
so that all top level ingest sites make the change as
simultaneously as possible.  Otherwise, identical products
being ingested by multiple sites will have different
signatures.  This could cause a large increase in the number
of products.

My hope is that all sites will be able to upgrade
independently sometime during the next week, and once that
is done we will all make a simultaneous change to our pqing
invocations.

In version 5.1.3 the -5 option tells pqing to calculate the
signature the old way, using the sequence number.  For most
people this will mean changing the line in their ldmd.conf
file that invokes pqing to include the -5 option, then
stopping and restarting their LDM.

Then, we must pick a time when, after upgrading, all top
level ingest site simultaneously remove the -5 option from
their pqing invocation.  I would like to do this on
Thursday, December 14 or Monday, December 18.  PLEASE SEND
ME EMAIL INDICATING THE TIMES YOU ARE ABLE TO MAKE THIS
CHANGE.  Z times would be greatly appreciated.

The source code for version 5.1.3 is available at
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/ldm5/

A binary version for Solaris 5.7 i86 is available at
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/sunos_5.7-i86pc/

Again, thank you for all your help and support in this
effort.  You are performing a great service to the
community.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307

------- End of Forwarded Message