Re: HELP!

"Eric W. Ribble" wrote:

> On 1/5/01 2:37 PM, "Anne Wilson" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > "Eric W. Ribble" wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Anne and Jim -
> >>
> >> I've run into some big problems here with our new LDM and I've tried and
> >> tried to figure out what is going on, and I've come up short.
> >>
> >> About 10 am this morning, our new LDM just quit running.  I checked our
> >> upstream providers and everything seemed fine.  I went through all the
> >> troubleshooting measures and finally decided to delete the product queue
> >> and
> >> see if that would help.  Sure enough, it did.  Then about 30 minutes later
> >> the LDM stopped again.  Ever since I haven't been able to get it back.
> >>
> >> I've tried everything, even re-compiling and reinstalling it even though I
> >> haven't changed a thing, nor has our sys. admin done anything to the
> >> machine.  The LDM attempts to start and just sits at "starting the LDM
> >> server...".
> >>
> >> What could it be?  One minute things were fine, the next it has gone bad.
> >> We're running 5.1.3 here on FreeBSD, which I know isn't a supported OS BUT
> >> it has been working fine with no problems until today.  I've cc'ed Jim
> >> Koermer who is running the LDM on the FreeBSD platform.
> >>
> >> Thanks -
> >>
> >> Eric
> >>
> >> --
> >> Eric W. Ribble
> >> Purdue University
> >> Mesoscale Convection and Tornado Research Group (MCT)
> >> address@hidden
> >> http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble
> >

> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > Wow!  May I log in and take a look?  If so, let's exchange the password
> > by phone.  Please call me: (303) 497-8677, or send me your phone number.
> >
> > Btw, what do the logs say?
> >
> > Anne
>
> The problem is for some unknown reason nothing gets written to the log
> files.  I find it odd, but nothing gets written.  I beleive that is one of
> the oddities running the LDM on FreeBSD, or am I missing something Jim?

You mean nothing gets written to the log EVER???  Or just since things
went bad?

Can you get the ldm to log to a file via invoking ldm programs from the
command line?  e.g. rpc.ldmd -v -l <someLogFileName> ???  (You may want
to try my suggestions below first.)

> As for logging in, I don't think that is possible.  The sys. admin here is
> more anal about security than the pentagon.  If you think that is the only
> possible way to solve this, I'll go and talk with him.

It's going to be very hard to debug this without logging.  Having me log
in may not be necessary. (I guess I was just reacting to the urgent tone
of your message.)

I suggest you invoke things from the command line (remember when we did
this in the workshop?).  Start each process in debug mode and have each
process log to the terminal.

From $LDMHOME:

First, delete the queue: rm data/ldm.pq

Create the queue: pqcreate -x -l - -s <theSizeYouNeed>

Start the ldm: rpc.ldmd -x -l -

Start pqact: pqact -x -l -

(These all assume default locations for configuration files and the
product queue.  You'll have to modify them if you placed these files
elsewhere.)

> I'm so mystified about all of this.  I saw the data stop in right before my
> eyes!  On rainbow, our old LDM, data is coming in just fine.
>
> Eric
>
> --
> Eric W. Ribble
> Purdue University
> Mesoscale Convection and Tornado Research Group (MCT)
> address@hidden
> http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble

Maybe something changed underneath you.  Is your disk full?  Are you
writing data to a remotely mounted disk that got unmounted?    What does
the system log say?

Try these and let me know what you find.  If you need to run things for
a while until they fail you may need to reinvoke rpc.ldmd and pqact and
hopefully log to some file somewhere...

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307