20010110: McIDAS-LDM: Syslogd HUP fails on LDMADMIN Start

>From: Michael Keables <address@hidden>

Mike,

>In an earlier email you mentioned that Solaris has a problem with
>syslogd hanging up (which was why I was not getting ldm log output.)

Right.

>You suggested that I may need to logon as root, kill the daemon, and
>then restart it.

Yes.

>I had to do just that today, and now find that each time I restart the
>ldm using ldmadmin start, the HUP to syslogd fails due to a permission
>error (I must have inadvertently reset the permission when I launched
>syslogd.) What should the permissions be for /usr/sbin/syslogd so that
>ldm can kill and then restart it?

Both rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog have to have set uid root permisson set.

The following was extracted from the LDM installation checklist page:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmBinaryInstallList.html#s7

<login as root>
% cd ~ldm/{version-directory}/bin
% chown root rpc.ldmd