Re: data flow (fwd)

"James R. Frysinger" wrote:

> > (Or, you could do a notifyme to your own machine.  Again, if you want to
> > see just products from a particular feed type you can do 'notifyme -v -l
> > - -h <yourHost> -f <feedType>')
>
>         This resulted in:
>    NOTIFYME(weather.cofc.edu): 7: Access denied by remote server
> Yet, the "allow ANY " line in ldmd.conf is not commented out.

There should be a line in your ldmd.conf like this:

allow   ANY

^((localhost|loopback)|(127\.0\.0\.1\.?$)|([a-z].*\.unidata\.ucar\.edu\.?$))

The 'localhost|loopback' part should allow your own host to connect to
itself.  This line is essential - the ldm won't work without it.  Is it
in your file?  (It must be, as you had the ldm working earlier.)

> > which 'ldmadmin log' should show you.
>
>         Null results. the only files in ~ldm/logs are ldmbinstats.upc
> and ldmd.log. The latter is empty, as mentioned above. The former
> contains 12 bytes and appears to update its timestamp fairly often
> (every hour or so?).

Are the permissions for ~ldm/logs set correctly?  The directory should
be owned and writable by 'ldm'.

>         Yes, your advice on troubleshooting tools has helped immensely!
> I think the problem is related to what you mentioned in your answer to
> Robert Mullenax. Going back and looking at my preinstallation work, I
> see that I had entered the line in /etc/syslog.conf exactly as shown in
> the directions, not realizing that this would have to point to the home
> of ldm (/export/home/ldm).  And in the next step to create a symbolic
> link in /etc/local for our ldm installation (/export/home/ldm) I
> misspelled "export", leaving out the "o".  (It's hard to believe I was
> the 4th grade spelling bee champ in Lima, Ohio a long time ago.)
>
> I'm going to tackle those two links and see if that helps with the
> logging and with the linking of addresses for pqact and so forth.
> Fixing these should not require a remake of LDM, should it?
>
> Jim

No, no need to remake the ldm to pick up changes to syslog.conf or to
follow a corrected link.

I'm happy to hear my advice has helped!  Let me know what happens.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307