Re: 20010126: LDM logfiles and server access

Erick Lorenz wrote:

> Anne:
>
> I wrote you earlier about the difficulties I was having both with getting
> data from typhoon and also with my log files.
>
> 1.  I am getting data from typhoon as of this morning.  Appearently James
> had to modify both the
>     regular "allow" file and a failover "allow" file by adding my numerical
> IP address before it
>     stop denying me access.

The ldm wants to verify your host.  It trys to lookup both the host name
and the IP address.  If either one fails or they don't agree, it will
exit.

I wonder if James can do the following:
        nslookup <yourHostName>
        nslookup <yourIPAddress>
both should resolve to your machine.  This would reveal if his name
server has a problem.  It works for me on my machine, imogene:

(anne) imogene:/home/anne 8 % nslookup atm25.ucdavis.edu
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Name:    atm25.ucdavis.edu
Address:  169.237.35.25

(anne) imogene:/home/anne 9 % nslookup 169.237.35.25
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Name:    atm25.ucdavis.edu
Address:  169.237.35.25

Is James failing over a lot???  Otherwise, not having your IP address in
his failover configuration file shouldn't affect you.

> 2.  The log files are being generated allbeit in a strange way.  Actually
> this is what was
>     happening before I started to mess around with them.  There are four
> files:
>
>         -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata        0 Jan 29 00:00 ldmd.log
>         -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   762105 Jan 29 12:42 ldmd.log.1
>         -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   150792 Jan 28 01:00 ldmd.log.2
>         -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   625483 Jan 27 18:52 ldmd.log.3
>
>     As you can see the ldmd.log has been initialize but the messages
> continue going to
>     to ldmd.log.1 as this later listing shows:
>
>         -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata        0 Jan 29 00:00 ldmd.log
>         -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   762272 Jan 29 12:47 ldmd.log.1
>         -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   150792 Jan 28 01:00 ldmd.log.2
>         -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   625483 Jan 27 18:52 ldmd.log.3
>
> I sent you copies of all the relevant configuration files earlier.  They
> all seem to point to ldmd.log as the file that should be written to.  At
> least I am getting a record but I have to look at it with a shell command
> rather than with "ldmadmin log" as that shows nothing as if it is reading
> ldmd.log.  If I leave a screen running "ldmadmin tail" I do get the reports
> but I think this only works after the logs have been automatically rotated
> once and ldmd.log.1 has been created.

I don't think that your ldm is hup'ing the syslog daemon properly.  Send
it a hup signal like you did before and let me know if that causes it to
write to ldmd.log (and *not* ldmd.log.1).  (I believe that was the
outcome before.)

I would like you to do the test that I mentioned in my earlier message.
The test would be something like:

1. Comment out the local0 line in /etc/syslog.conf
2. Send the syslog deamon a HUP signal.  Now it doesn't know anything
about local0.
3. Comment *in* the local0 line in /etc/syslog.conf
4. Stop and restart the ldm.  This should rotate the logs and cause
messages to go to ldmd.log (not ldmd.log.1).

If this doesn't work then there's a problem with the code.

Are you using local0 for any other logging on your system?  Does it
appear anywhere else in syslog.conf?

> Thanks
>
> Erick Lorenz

>   | Erick Lorenz, Programmer/Analyst                     Voice: 530-752-8297 |
>   | Atmospheric Science                                  FAX:   530-752-1552 |
>   | Land, Air & Water Resources                                              |
>   | University of California, Davis            e-mail:  address@hidden |

You're welcome.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307