Re: 20010207: LDM and firewalls

Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Hi Tim,

Mike says:

"As far as the UCAR security perimeter goes, LDM is an approved service
and as such is supported to exposed hosts on the perimeter.  It should
be relatively transparent for COMET to deal with in that respect.

There is a big difference between being behind a firewall/perimeter and
blocking port access per system.  First, you may have two different
approaches of controlling connections like whatever isn't denied is
allowed or the opposite of whatever isn't allowed is denied.  When
you're
behind a perimeter, others usually decide the connection policy, but
when
it is specified per machine, the person who runs the machine decides."

So, you could be on the security perimeter and the ldm would be able to
connect to the world.  In contrast, if you were inside the firewall,
your ldm would only be able to talk to other UCAR machines.  For
example, you could connect to the LDM on iita.rap.ucar.edu, which is on
the perimeter and connects to the world.  But, you'd have to be
satisified with the data that iita is providing or get them to request
what you want.  I think the only aspect of your LDM that would need to
change is to request data from another UCAR LDM.

Mike's other point, which is beyond the scope of the LDM, is about who
decides what you make available if you're within the perimeter.  If you
were inside you might be subject to code reviews and such.   I think
this is why we chose to remain outside several years ago.  FYI.

Hope this is helpful!

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307