re: Distribute NOAAPort SDI Stream to LDM

Hi Brian,

Other people here at Unidata have expressed interest to me in supporting
your site further.  Consequently, I am writing to clarify further the
information I gave you yesterday.

We run an LDM on our ingest machine, but it is not a 'full blown' LDM,
that is, we do not use that machine for data processing but only for
data ingest.  That machine came preconfigured by SSEC so that all the
ingest software wrote to FIFOs.  All that remained for us was to install
an LDM that reads from the FIFOs and puts the products in the queue for
transfer to another remote LDM where processing can occur.  The upshot
of all this is that we do not fully understand the SDI configuration up
to the point where data is written to the FIFOs, and thus can't provide
much support for it.

In particular we do not run decoders on that machine.  Since the SSEC
software runs at real time priority, it's possible that decoder
execution could get very far behind, possibly causing the LDM to lose
products or causing a slowdown to the system as a whole.  For this
reason we reserve such processing for another machine.  Thus, I can't
say with certainty whether running a LDM that processes data on your
ingest machine will work.

If you need help configuring your LDM on that machine, please let me
know.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307