Re: Data outage

"Eric W. Ribble" wrote:

> On 3/19/01 9:26 AM, "Charles O'Brien" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Eric,
> >
> > I am out of ideas.
> >
> > ] Well, I haven't seen any data come in from you in the last 24 hours.  I'm
> > ] not sure if our sys. admin. restarted the DNS server or not.  I can check.
> > ]
> > ] School starts back here on Monday.  I'm really hoping this problem will go
> > ] away real soon.
> >
> > ../bin/ldmping -h anvil.eas.purdue.edu -l - -v
> > Mar 19 14:24:05      State    Elapsed Port   Remote_Host           rpc_stat
> > Mar 19 14:24:05  ADDRESSED   0.231170    0   anvil.eas.purdue.edu  RPC:
> > Unable
> > to receive; errno = Connection reset by peer
> > Mar 19 14:24:30 SVC_UNAVAIL   0.219046    0   anvil.eas.purdue.edu  RPC:
> > Unable to receive; errno = Connection reset by peer
> > Mar 19 14:24:55 SVC_UNAVAIL   0.350905    0   anvil.eas.purdue.edu  RPC:
> > Unable to receive; errno = Connection reset by peer
> > Mar 19 14:25:21 SVC_UNAVAIL   0.161254    0   anvil.eas.purdue.edu  RPC:
> > Unable to receive; errno = Connection reset by peer
> >
> > I am not sure why your system is not accepting my pings.
> > Nothing in your ldm log files?  My other clients all work.  I
> > am real confused here.
> >

> > Charlie
>
> Charlie -
>
> I've cc'ed Anne Wilson from Unidata on this.  She may be able to give some
> insight into this.
>
> Anne -
>
> Here's the story...  On March 9th at 1835, we here at Purdue stopped
> receiving radar data from WSI.  I did not make any changes to the LDM prior
> to this stoppage.
>
> Interestingly, anvil (our LDM server here at Purdue), can sometimes be
> ldmping'ed and sometimes is comes up unreachable.  Regardless, we haven't
> seen any data since the 9th, but just from WSI.  Everything else is coming
> in just fine.
>
> We're both totally confused and we've run out ideas.  Unfortunately, since
> we're running the LDM on FreeBSD, one of the odd bugs is that for whatever
> reason, nothing ever gets written to the logs on anvil.  However, data from
> all our other sources is getting here just fine.
>
> Do you have any ideas to where we could go with this?  I've been in contact
> with Charlie O'Brien <address@hidden>, we're almost to the verge of
> losing sleep over this.  It's that puzzling!
>
> Eric
>
> --
> Eric W. Ribble
> Purdue University
> Mesoscale Convection and Tornado Research Group (MCT)
> address@hidden
> http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble

Hi Eric,

So, let me make sure I understand:

You were getting data from WSI, but then without any changes to anvil it
simply stopped coming.  And, sometimes Charlie at WSI can ldmping anvil
succesfully sometimes, but at other times he can't.  All other data from
other sources is arriving fine.  Also, anvil is not logging.

I assume that your contract with WSI has not run out, nor has anyone at
WSI turned off the flow erroneously.  Has this been confirmed?  Has the
software at WSI changed recently?

And, the 'allow' line for WSI is still in ldmd.conf, right?

Otherwise, I'm wondering about the network.  Charlie, what happens when
you do a traceroute to anvil?  Please try this and send me the
results.   Also, please try 'nslookup anvil.eas.purdue.edu' and also
'nslookup <anvilsIPaddress>' - the ldm requires that both be succesful,
and this will also confirm that the name service is working properly.

Also, Eric, do you mean none of the logging is working on anvil?  Or
just anything having to do with the WSI feed?

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307