20010316: Unidata registration

>From: address@hidden

Joanne,

>The dept of Geography at the University of Tennessee solicited a Unidata
>license back in 1999.

I see by our records that the University of Tennessee completed the licensing
process for all Unidata offerings in June of 1997.

>The contact person was Dr. Ken Orvis. Unfortunately,
>Dr. Orvis has not had the time to ever set up or use the data feed. I
>wasn't sure if Unidata contracts are with individual departments or with
>universities as a whole.

Licensing is done for a single campus of a university (other campuses need
to be licensed separately).

>The Institute of Agriculture is very much
>interested in a Unidata feed to provide ag weather related products to our
>producers. Please let me know what I need to do.

Since your institution is already licensed, you are ready to go.  I suggest
that you start by reading the online documentation for the LDM:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
  Software
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/Software.html
    LDM
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/index.html

Review of the online Training Workshop pages will also be of great benefit:

  LDM5 Workshop Presentation
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/workshop2000/

The LDM is available for download by anonymous FTP in source format
from the pub/ldm5 directory, and in binary format for select platforms
in the pub/binary directory on ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.

The online documentation for the LDM should be sufficient for you to
get the software installed and ready for configuration.  It also
contains information on how you should request assignment of an
an upstream feed site (and failover).

After you get your LDM installed and configured, you may want to
request access to one or both of the data analysis packages that we
offer:

GEMPAK
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/index.html

McIDAS
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/index.html

>Thank You.

Please let us know if you run into any problems with the download,
installation, or configuration of the LDM.

>Joanne Logan
>Univ. Tennessee

Tom Yoksas