Re: 20010421: Thoughts on LDM reclasses

> The thing I don't understand is why this mismatch resulted in a cascade of
> RECLASS messages, instead of just a single RECLASS message.  The latter I
> have seen many times when connecting to an ldm server, but the former
> never.  Perhaps the RECLASS was considered unacceptable to the ldm server
> on graupl.  Did the RECLASS messages show up in your ldmd logs last week?

I think it's much more common for RECLASS messages to appear when there's a timing problem - a product is either requested or served that has an unsatisfactory time stamp.  In that case, the two hosts can quickly renegotiate what to serve, hence only one or a few RECLASS messages appear.  However, in this case, graup1 was continually asking for a feed type that vortex was unwilling to serve.   This rarely happens, as sites usually have an agreement beforehand about what will be served and configure their LDMs appropriately.    Unlike with the time stamp problem, the two hosts have no automated way to renegotiate this.

Anne

Anne Wilson                     UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307
Unidata WWW server       http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/