Re: 20010531: ldm 5.1.3 with RH 7.1 thrashing

"Arthur A. Person" wrote:

> I was starting to suspect the wsi feed as well.  I know they've had a lot
> of trouble staying connected here and when I saw all the rpc's, I started
> thinking about wsi trying to connect.  If their software is old, they
> should probably update since their feed has not been as reliable as it
> used to be, unless it's just a networking bandwidth problem.  I guess I
> would have to take that up with them.  But the connect/reconnect thing
> shouldn't haul my system down either, should it?

No, it shouldn't.  Sites disconnect and reconnect all the time without
causing trouble.

I guess I should clarify my original comment about what WSI is running.
I think I said they had modified a version of the LDM, but I found a
recent quote from Charlie O'Brian at WSI in our archives:

> > For the record, we at WSI DO NOT run an LDM server.
> > We have homegrown program that sends data to clients
> > explicitly using LDM 5 protocol (kinda like PQSEND).

In thinking about this further, I'm not sure I'll be able to reproduce
this problem after all.  We do not have a COMPAQ machine available.  Is
that the Alpha 64bit chip?  Do you know if you can build both 32bit and
64bit versions of software?  I'm wondering if you built a 64bit version
by default, and if so, what would happen if you built a 32bit version?
If you could possibly perform this test, it might be revealing.

We can build 64bit versions of the LDM on our SPARCv9 or IRIX64
machines.  If I here from you that you're running a 64bit version, I
will do this and request WSI data and see what happens.

Anne
address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307