Re: 20010531: ldm 5.1.3 with RH 7.1 thrashing

"Arthur A. Person" wrote:

> > Art,
> >
> > FYI, Charlie O'Brian at WSI agreed to feed our 7.1 machine temporarily
> > starting Monday.  I'll request the WSI data then, and try it with
> > various queue sizes.
>
> Okay... that will be another test, although, I'm feeling like the wsi
> issue is more a symptom than a cause.

I've been viewing the two problems as separate: disk I/O and zombie
processes spawned by WSI.  It's the zombie processes problem that I'm
attempting to duplicate.   I suppose the zombie processes could be
related to the very large queue/thrashing...

On my end, I've been letting things run with a small queue.  No sign of
any problems.  Next, I'll make a large queue and see what happens.

> I've been having on-and-off problems with wsi connectivity to navier from
> wsi, but I haven't pushed the issue because navier's been overloaded and I
> could never be sure what the real problem might be.  There could be
> network delay's to wsi via ldm.meteo.psu.edu, but as I mentioned, my
> current thinking is that's not the primary problem.
>
> > You could try going back to the 2Gb queue and see if the problem
> > returns...
>
> I ran the 600MB queue over the weekend (since ~ last Thursday) and have
> seen no problems.  I'm going to coast into my vacation period this way and
> when I get back, I will try the large queue again... I fully expect it to
> fail again as before, for whatever reason... we'll see.  Interesting
> problem...
>
>                       Thanks for your help thus far...
>
>                                   Art.

Sounds like a plan.  After tomorrow, I'll be postponing this myself.
Truthfully, at this point I'm not holding out much hope that I can help
with this problem.  I'm also checking the web for notice about changes
to the kernal's swapping or memory mapped file management.  Haven't
found much yet.

Btw, Gilbert also reports excessive disk usage with his 7.1 machine.  He
runs with only a 500Mb queue.  Hasn't noticed any problems with WSI
though...  FYI.

Hmmm...

You're welcome, for it's been worth.

Anne