20010719: [Fwd: RE: Pheonix LDM radars]

>From: "Alan Hall" <address@hidden>

Alan,

>Here is my ldmd.conf excerpt:

>Jul 19 18:36:06 lb20 rpc.ldmd[31175]: Starting Up (built: Aug 31 2000
>11:48:33)
>Jul 19 18:36:06 lb20 148.126.34.10[31179]: run_requester: Starting Up:
>148.126.34.10
>Jul 19 18:36:06 lb20 148.126.34.10[31179]: run_requester: 20010719195912.642
>TS_ENDT {{ANY,  ".*"}}
>Jul 19 18:36:06 lb20 148.126.34.10[31179]: FEEDME(148.126.34.10): 7:
>Authentication error; No match for request

>We have checked and re-checked the ldmd.conf files, but we still get
>the Authentication error.  Any suggestions?

The '7: Authentication error' is telling us that the upstream machine
is not being able to authenticate the requesting machine.  This can
happen when the upstream machine is not able to do a reverse name
lookup on the name being offered by the client.

We just ran into the exact same problem between Florida State University
and the University of Puerto Rico.  The client, Puerto Rico, was
requesting NNEXRAD products, but was being denied the feed from the
server, FSU.  After many different attempts at understanding/solving
the problem, a change of the 'allow' in the server's ldmd.conf file to
use of the client's IP address was found to work.

So, the things I would try are (in this order):

o see if a forward and reverse name lookup result in the same information
  on both the server and client.  This is done using 'nslookup'.

  For example:

%nslookup 205.167.25.171
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Name:    ig1.ncdc.noaa.gov
Address:  205.167.25.171

%nslookup ig1.ncdc.noaa.gov
laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ig1.ncdc.noaa.gov
Address:  205.167.25.171

o make sure that you do not have more than one allow line in the
  server's ldmd.conf file for the client in question (one could be by name
  and the other by IP address)

o try changing the server's ldmd.conf 'allow' line to use of the client's
  IP address or visa versa.

  For example:

  If your allow uses the machine name:

change:
allow   NNEXRAD ig1\.ncdc\.noaa\.gov$

to:
allow   NNEXRAD 205\.167\.25\.171$

  or if your allow uses the machine IP:

change:
allow   NNEXRAD 205\.167\.25\.171$

to:
allow   NNEXRAD ig1\.ncdc\.noaa\.gov$

Then, you need to stop and restart the server's LDM after making
modifications to its ldmd.conf file.

By the way, the following message from jwwilhit shows that the phxsrv1
machine's ldmd.conf may not have an appropriate allow for ingest.ncdc.noaa.gov
(205.167.25.170).

Please let us know if the above helps...

Tom Yoksas
Unidata User Support