Re: about halo in City College of New York

Xiaodong Yan wrote:

> Thanks for David and Anne's kindly help and concern.
>
> As for halo:
> I have read the help from Unidate website few weeks ago about the problems
> with the date queue. I was able to solve data stream halt problem once by
> make a new queue few weeks ago. Last week when we get problem again, I did
> use ldmadmin to delete queue and make a new one on halo, it doesn't help.
> After I redo that, and reboot halo today, we were able to get some new data
> for about 3 hours. But because the instableness of our school's network, we
> wasn't able to get any more new data. The network connect between here to
> albany still in a unable status as few days ago.
>
> At the mean time there is another issue I wasn't sure about, neither can I
> figure it out from the unidate help page. There is two ip address for halo.
> One is through local network (halo.sci.ccny.cuny.edu 134.74.52.189, the
> otherone is through a special NASA t-1 line.
> (halo-imas.scitone.ccny.cuny.edu 198.116.96.25). The second one is much
> stable, and we prefer all the datas go through the second one. Is there
> anything can be done at ldm configuration level to achieve that?
>
> Best regards to all people in Albany and Unidate giving us kind help and
> support.
>
> Xiaodong Yan
> =================================
> Mr. Xiaodong Yan
> System Administrator, Science Computing
> Room: Marshak Science Building, J-302
> City College of City University of New York
> New York, NY 10031
> Tel: 212.650.7885
> Email: address@hidden
> Backup: address@hidden
> =================================

Hello Mr. Xiaodong,

First, if I should be addressing you as Mr. Yan, please let me know.  I
apologize if I've used the wrong name.

Regarding your current connectivity problems, it would be easiest for me
to help you with this if I could login to your machine.  At one time I
had the information to do this, but I no longer have that.  Please call
me and leave the password to your machine on my voice mail: (303)
497-8677.  Please do not send the password information via email.

It's well worth trying your NASA t-1 connection.  I think we could get
that set up for you, although it will require some advanced system
administration.  I'll be discussing this with our system administrators,
and you may need to talk with yours as well.  We need to know what
operating system you're running, and what version.  We also need to know
that same information for your campus name server - perhaps your system
administrator can give you that information.  Please find this out and
let me know.  Once I can login to your machine I can determine some of
that information for myself, but not all of it.  If you are willing to
give me the root password in addition to the ldm password, I will try to
configure your machine for you, although there may still be work that
needs to be done elsewhere, specifically on your campus name server.

I look forward to hearing from you so that we can solve your problems.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307