Re: 20010815: DIFAX feed

Hi Celia,

I know Pete has had some issue lately with supplying the DIFAX feed:

<snip>

ate: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:11:15 -0500
From: Pete Pokrandt <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Profhorn.meteor.wisc.edu issues..

All,

We have been having some problems with random freezes on
profhorn.meteor.wisc.edu. This affects all who are feeding
the NEXRAD or NMC2 feeds through it.  It also affects the DIFAX
feed, since all the maps are created using data residing on
profhorn.

This has happened on occasion in the past, but since moving the
machine to a new location last week, it has been occuring almost
daily. The latest crash happened around 06 UTC last night, and
was down until about 15:45 UTC today.

I'm kind of baffled, there are no error messages at all to explain what
is going on, just a still humming but dead to the world computer, with
a black monitor. I know usually in that situation it's bad memory,
but some memory tests I ran found no problems. I just pulled open the
machine and reseated all the cards and memory, we'll see if that does
it.

If not, I'll have to come up with an alternate solution.

I guess the point of this email is to apologize to our downstreams
for all the lost data, and to give a heads-up that it may continue
to go down, so you may want to switch to an alternate feed if possible
until things stabilize.

Here's hoping the reseating did some magic..

Any wisdom about things to try would be welcome. It's a dual PII 233
machine with 256 Mb EDO RAM, and lots of SCSI disk space.

Pete
<snip>

But have not heard from him since July, so am assuming all is OK at his
end..

I am doing a notifyme on motherlode for difax and will let it run for
awhile as these products arrive in a spotty manner. I am also contacting
Pete at UW..

Will keep you posted.

-Jeff