20010914: ldm broken pipe

>From: "Fingerhut, William A" <address@hidden>

Bill,

>Sorry to bother you with something that I should handle
>myself. I am totally swamped filling in for a missing
>system admin, hardware issues, classes starting, etc.
>So, I would really appreciate some help.

No problem.  Sorry I couldn't get to this earlier.

>Our LDM is reporting in the log a broken pipe;
>it appears to be looking for decoders/dcprof and not finding
>that file; there is a decoders/dcncprof although that may
>be irrelevant.

I just looked through the pqact.conf file here on one of our machines
and see three entries for GEMPAK decoding of FSL profiler data:

#####
# FSL NetCDF Wind Profiler
FSL2    ^FSL\.NetCDF\.NOAAnet\.windprofiler\.(01hr)\.(.*)\..*
        PIPE    -close  decoders/dcncprof
        -l data/gempak/logs/dcncprof.log
        -e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables
        data/gempak/profiler/YYYYMMDD_pro.gem

FSL2
^FSL\.NetCDF\.NOAAnet\.windprofiler\.(06min)\........(0[0-9]|1[01])..\.. *
        PIPE    -close  decoders/dcncprof
        -l data/gempak/logs/dcncprof.log
        -e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables
        data/gempak/profiler/YYYYMMDD00_6min.gem

FSL2
^FSL\.NetCDF\.NOAAnet\.windprofiler\.(06min)\........(1[2-9]|2[0-3])..\. .*
        PIPE    -close  decoders/dcncprof
        -l data/gempak/logs/dcncprof.log
        -e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables
        data/gempak/profiler/YYYYMMDD12_6min.gem

We also have an entry for decoding of the old profiler data in BUFR format
(the profiler data that is broadcast on NOAAPORT):

# Old profiler hourly summaries in BUFR format
HRS     ^IUPT0[1-4] KBOU
        PIPE    decoders/dcprof -v 4 -d data/gempak/logs/dcprof.log
        -e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables
        -s profiler_fsl.stn
        tableb tabled data/gempak/profiler_bufr/YYYYMMDD_pro.gem

This does reference dcprof, so it is likely that you have the same
kind of entry in your pqact.conf file.

>With our filesystem problems we may have
>lost the file? What would you suggest?

If you are getting the FSL2 datastream, I recommend commenting out the
entry in pqact.conf for the BUFR formatted profiler data.  The reason
for this is two fold:

o the profiler data in NOAAPORT is delayed since it is not classified
  as operational.  The data in the FSL2 data feed is not delayed

o the profiler data in NOAAPORT does not include all of the observation
  levels while the profiler data from FSL in the FSL2 feed does contain
  all reporting levels

If you really want to decode the BUFR profiler data, then you should
check to see if the dcprof binary still exists in the ~gempak directory
structure.

I hope that this helps...

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Sep 17 09:45:04 2001

Tom,

We do get FSL2; so I commented out the whole line.

Thanks, Bill

< Bill Fingerhut, Professor           PHONE: 802-626-6257 >
< Meteorology Dept                    FAX:   802-626-9770 >
< Lyndon State College                                    >
< Lyndonville, Vt 05851                                   >
< EMAIL:     address@hidden                  >
<            address@hidden                  >
< WWW:       http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/                   >
< disclaimer: I know nothing - I only work here.          >
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv