Re: Update #2...

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> Anne,
>
> Thanks so much for your help. Exactly how did you solve this and restart
> it? And how did you know it was the portmapper?
>
> Thanks!

> Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
> E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***
> Work phone: 815-753-5492                                                *

Hi Gilbert,

First, the wierd log entry, "couldn't register 300029 version 5", or
whatever it was,  caused us to try to check the port with 'rpcbind -p'.
However, that would not succeed, which caused us to check
/etc/hosts.allow and see that portmap was not allowed.  Tom Yoksas had
the root password, so we added portmap to /etc/hosts.allow.  This simply
aided is doing diagnositics.  Then we did 'rpcbind -p' and saw that the
port was being held by the ldm, but we could see that the ldm was not
running.   We were going to do simply 'rpcinfo -d' and free the port but
when we went to do 'rpcinfo' again, the command didn't respond again.
From this we knew there was a problem with the portmapper.  That's what
caused us to stop and restart it.

We stopped and started the portmapper with '/etc/init.d/portmap stop'
and '/etc/init.d/portmap start'.  You have to be root to do that.

I don't know what went wrong with the portmapper - I hope it doesn't
happen again.

You're very welcome!

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000