20011003: Cron Jobs Failing on Blizzard

>From:  "Patrick O'Reilly" <address@hidden>

Patrick,

>Thanks again for your help with blizzard, getting the finishing touches
>wrapped up.  Funny thing though, all my cron jobs for ldm now fail.
>From the cron log, it looks like they first failed around 19Z on
>Saturday, and last ran at 1835Z.   Strangely, this time is right around
>when we were making those changes, and changes to the cron jobs for ldm.
>Maybe you could log on to blizzard.storm.uni.edu when you have time,
>and see if the things you set up are correct, as far as the cron jobs?

The messages you sent relate to cron auditing.  Nothing we did had
anything to do with cron auditing, since this would have had to have
been done by 'root'.

My system administrator's recommendation is to turn off cron auditing:

<as 'root'>
audit -t

>What I see in the log is:
>
>>  sys 1259 c Tue Oct  2 21:00:00 2001
>! cron audit problem. job failed (decoders/mcscour.sh) for user ldm Tue
>00:00 2001
><  ldm 1257 c Tue Oct  2 21:00:00 2001 rc=3D1

Right.  The problem is not with cron, but with cron auditing.  The other
thing that is strange is that the /var/adm/messages* files are all
zero length.  This may indicate a problem in /etc/syslog.conf.

>If you have any suggestions why my cron jobs for ldm would suddenly
>fail, let me know.  It seems tied to something we did Saturday.

The changes we made were on Monday afternoon, so if things started
failing on Saturday, it was the result of some other modifications.

>Thanks again.

Let me know if turning off cron auditing doesn't fix your problem.