20011009: Cron Jobs Failing on Blizzard (cont.)

>From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <address@hidden>

Patrick,

We were just poking around on your system and noticed that auditd is
still being started at boot.  To stop this, you should do the following
as 'root':

cd /etc/rc2.d
mv S99audit s99audit

The files that begin with a 'S' are started at boot; ones with 'K' are
killed during shutdown.  Changing the 'S' to 's' will keep auditd
from being started.

After making the change, you need to reboot.  After the reboot, verify
that the audit daemon is not running:

ps -eaf | grep audit

Everything in /var/spool/cron/crontabs looks OK, so your 'ldm' cron
jobs _should_ run once auditing is turned off.

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Oct 11 09:44:22 2001
>Subject: Re: 20011009: Cron Jobs Failing on Blizzard (cont.)

Tom,

Moving the file in /etc/rc2.d didn't work, so I went on the net and found
the solution.  It's some obscure conflict with ssh and auditing.  I guess
when we logged in ssh via your machine and did crontab commands, it goofed a
file up, as ssh cannot be audited.  In /var/spool/cron/crontabs, there are 2
files for each user, for example ldm and ldm.au.  Well auditing uses
settings in ldm.au and when we logged into blizzard via ssh, it couldn't
audit and goofed up the settings in ldm.au.  I removed the 2 files, re-set
up the cron entries and it created a new ldm.au file.  Voila, my next cron
job ran.  Phew.  Here's where I found the info if you are interested.

http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/summaries/2001-August/001289.html

Thanks for your persistence, seems like the answers are always somewhere on
the web!

Patrick