Re: pqact not starting

"Brian S. Miller" wrote:

> Thanks Anne,
> The kill -9 <PID> ended up working.  How long does an ldmadmin mkqueue take?
>
> Also, do you think a bad hard drive is causing my problems?  Every now and
> then I can hear the SCSI disk "whine" for a few seconds, but it goes away.
> I think I will look into getting a new hard drive.
>
> Thanks.
> BRian

Building a new queue may take a few minutes, as the code now initializes
the entire queue.  As I recall you have a 500Mb queue, so, I'm guessing
that might take a minute or two.

It's very possible that a problem with the disk would cause a problem in
the queue, or in the executables for that matter.  But, depending on how
robust your ldm needs to be, I'd be inclined to wait and see if any
other problems occurred.  Is this the only problem you've seen?

I've had disks whine and not crash, and I've had disks crash that never
whined.  What OS are you using again?  There's probably a utility to
test for bad blocks, but that's very OS dependent.

Please let me know if and when you're up and running again.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307