Re: PIPE always errors

"Jason J. Levit" wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>   I just installed a version of LDM on my RedHat 7.2 workstation,
> and whenever I attempt to send data to a "PIPE" command, I always
> receive this error:
>
> Apr 12 15:52:51 storm pqact[9943]: child 9948 exited with status 127
> Apr 12 15:52:51 storm pqact[9943]: pbuf_flush (4) write: Broken pipe
>
>   I checked all the permissions on the directory, and they are all
> open.  A standard "FILE" command works fine in this directory, but
> ANY command I pipe the data to (cat, etc.) ALWAYS gives me a
> "write error".
>
>   There appears to be something wrong with PIPE, but I'm not sure
> how to get around it.  Is there a bug with PIPE on RedHat 7.2
> and LDM?
>
>   Thanks for any help!
>
>   Jason
>
> --
> Jason J. Levit, N9MLA                   Research Scientist,
> address@hidden             Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
> Room 1022                              University of Oklahoma
> 405/325-3503                           http://www.caps.ou.edu/

Hi Jason,

One further thought.  I didn't mention this earlier because your
experience with 'cat' made me think it wasn't relevant, but it's a
common mistake with PIPE that's worth mentioning.

Unlike FILE, PIPE will not build directories needed by your executable.
That must be done either by your executable or by you a priori.

FYI.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307