Re: Search doesn't work (fwd)

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:30:07 -0600
From:    Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To:      <private-addressee>
Subject: Re: Search doesn't work

Hi Jim,

> I wanted to find some typical volume distribution from a top tier site to
> show to my French and Finnish colleagues, how much volume/day goes thru
> sites such as ours. Harry says he doesn't have to do anything with it for
> extended periods.

The server on motherlode.ucar.edu is a typical top-tier site, which
distributes the standard Unidata data feeds as well as some
experimental feeds that only a few sites get, such as the high-volume
CONDUIT feed of high-resolution model output.  Here's a table of
volumes for a recent status report on out data volumes (from May
2002):

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/community/committees/policy/pcmeeting2002may/iddstatus.htm

It contains a link to the previous status report, which also contains
a link to the previous one (we create them approximately every four
months), so you can see the growth in data volumes recently.

We will soon be putting together another of these status reports so
will have the latest volumes in another week or so.  Please let me
know if you'd like to see that also.  A paper on the theoretical
limits on scalability of the system is also available here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/papers/ldm-2001.html

and a paper on our plans for the next version of the system is here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/papers/ldm-2002.html

--Russ

------- End of Forwarded Message