20021119: LDM v5.2.2 upgrade, or "why the dent in my wall keeps getting bigger" :-)

>From: "Benjamin Cotton" <address@hidden>

Ben,

>'gmake' is not to be found on anvil.eas.purdue.edu.  Fortunately, I
>found a copy of it on epicenter.eas.purdue.edu in ~eribble/bin.  I
>e-mailed it to ldm and put it in /project/ldm/ldm-5.2.2/src.  From there
>I used it in place of 'make'.

I am afraid that simply having gmake on a system is not enough since
it will need to have supporting infrastructure.

>I got error messages again, but different
>ones this time.  For everyone's convenience (I hope) I have put the
>output on the web.
>
>http://www.eas.purdue.edu/ldm/upgrade/upgrade.html
>
>Hopefully, we can come up with a solution to this.

The output I see shows that 'gmake' can't be found:

gmake[1]: Entering directory `/net/anvil/project/ldm/ldm-5.2.2/src'

Making `all' in directory /net/anvil/project/ldm/ldm-5.2.2/src/config

gmake: not found
gmake[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/net/anvil/project/ldm/ldm-5.2.2/src'
gmake: *** [config/all] Error 2

This most likely means that you put gmake in a directory that is not in
the PATH of the user running gmake.

Also, I don't understand your output:

(anvil.eas.purdue.edu) [/project/ldm/ldm-5.2.2/src]% gmake
creating cache ./config.cache
checking user-defined C compiler "cc"
checking C compiler... works
checking the installation prefix... /net/anvil/project/ldm/ldm-5.2.2
checking domain name... eas.purdue.edu
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E

What is being run is configure.  gmake can't run until configure creates
a Makefile in ~ldm/ldm-5.2.2/src and all subdirectories under it.  The
normal step would be:

<login as 'ldm'>
cd ldm-5.2.2/src
make distclean           <- to make sure that there are no remnants of earlier
                            configurations
./configure
gmake
gmake install
sudo gmake install_setuids

>Tom, once we get
>this working, I'd like to make a page on the LDM website devoted to the
>fun and joy of LDM on FreeBSD.

The big problem it turns out is that 'make' on FreeBSD is not working
according to the way the man pages suggest it should.

>Do you mind if I excerpt your e-mails on this site.

No, not at all.  This may not be needed since all email exchanges
between us are already accessible to all users through the online
glimpse searches available on our web site:

Unidata HomePage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu

 +> Software
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/index.html

    +> LDM
       http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/index.html

       +> Searchable archives of LDM support
          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghldm.html

Use 'FreeBSD' as the glimpse search key, and you will find our interactions.

>I know Jim Koermer and I are the only ones running LDM on
>FreeBSD at the current time, but if someone else joins the IDD or when
>Jim or I move on to something else, there will be a handy reference for
>everyone.

As soon as we get our FreeBSD machine up to a usable level (it has
newly been pressed into FreeBSD service) we will work on smoothing out
the kinks with installation/configuration/use of our packages on it.
This is not the highest thing on our priority list right at the moment,
however.

Tom