20030227: LDM - Linux - Running LDM on clustered systems

>From: "Herm Wojdylak" <address@hidden>

Herm,

>Institution: Weathernews Americas
>Package Version: 5.1.x / 5.2.x
>Operating System: Linux
>Hardware Information: PC (intel)
>
>Inquiry:
>
>I've tried to search the FAQ's about this with no luck. Do you know if
>anyone has successfully tried running LDM on clustered machines?

Yes, the folks at OU/CAPS have setup a system on a Linux cluster.

>We
>receive NWSTG data via a Noaaport system which feeds an LDM main system
>and a backup LDM system. The main system then feeds LDM running on
>various downstream systems which do the actual data processing. If the
>main LDM system dies, we manually failover the downtream systems to
>receive data from the backup system. If possible, we would like to
>cluster the main and backup systems so that if a downstream system lost
>connection with the main LDM system, when it tried to reestablish the
>data feed and the main system was down, the cluster load handler would
>connect it to the backup machine without manual intervention.

Since I don't know the pertinent details of how the folks at CAPS
setup the LDM on their cluster, I will refer you to the technical
contact there: Carl Sinclair <address@hidden> (who I also CCed on
this reply.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Thu Feb 27 15:18:36 2003
>To: Herm Wojdylak <address@hidden>
>CC: Unidata Support <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 20030227: LDM - Linux - Running LDM on clustered systems

Herm,

We are running LDM on a clustered system.  The way we are doing it is
this:

Each node runs it's own instance of LDM with the queue on that node's
local hard drive.  The data that is brought in is written to a raid
shared by the cluster.

That's the basic rundown. If you'd like a further breakdown I can
provide that as well.

Carl