20030324: LDM 6.0.2 on Linux 7.3 with large queue (cont.)

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

Art,

re: If you reduce the queue size to around 4 gigabytes, then it should
work.

>Okay, I did that and it's working.  Is there any way to make the queue
>larger than 4GB?  I thought some relays were using >4GB queues, but maybe
>they aren't running Linux.

4 GB appears to be the upper limit for the LDM queue under Linux on
32-bit hardware.  We don't know if this same limit exists on Itanium.

As for sites using queues larger than 4 GB, I too was under that
impression, but I was mistaken.  The only machine I know of that used a
queue larger than 4 GB was the 7 GB queue we were using on thelma, a
Sun SunFire 280R SPARC box.  During the development of LDM-6, we
reduced thelma's queue down to 4 GB since we noted that even though
thelma is receiving all of the data available in the IDD and relaying
it to lots (over 100) downstream rpc.ldmds, the minimum time of the
oldest product in the queue was well over 3600 seconds.

Tom Yoksas