20030326: LDM 6.0.2 installed as SFSU (cont.)

>From: Dave Dempsey <address@hidden>

Hi Dave,

I found this old note in the support inbox, and Chiz is out of the office
till next week, so I figured I should try to respond.

>*> From address@hidden Wed Mar 26 09:17:00 2003
>*> Subject: 20030325: 20030324: LDM 6.0.2 installed as SFSU
>*> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:16:11 -0700
>*>
>*> Dave,
>*>
>*> We are receiving your stats. FYI, the clock on enso seems to be running
>*> 30-40 seconds fast and norte may be about 40 seconds slow.
>*>
>*> If you aren't using ntpdate to sync the clocks (or the ntp daemon), you
>*> can see the LDM documentation on setting that up.

>Thanks for the tipoff. It appears as if norte is running xntpd:
>
>        root  8540     1  0 15:31:02 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/inet/xntpd
>
>and enso is running ntpdate with norte (130.212.21.17) as it's time server:
>
>        root   184   183  0   Mar 10 ?        0:25 /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s -w 130
> .212.21.17
>
>In spite of this, enso isn't synchronized with norte and norte isn't
>synchronized with outside time servers. Must be something I'm missing about
>the way these are set up.

OK.  My approach in helping sites with time problems is to recommend
running ntpdate while pointing at one of the Stratum level 2 servers that
is willing to have folks connect up:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html

This has worked well for such diverse locations as Brazil, Puerto Rico,
Florida, and Colorado.

>I could find (using the "Search" on Unidata's WWWeb site) no reference to
>ntpdate in Unidata's on-line LDM documentation, though in the LDM
>pre-installation documentation there is a reference to
>http:/www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp for info on installing ntp. Is that what
>you're referring to above?

I believe that this is what Chiz was referring to.  For reference, the
process for running ntpdate is to:

1) make sure that it is loaded on your machine
2) identify a time server that is willing to have you use them
3) notify the time server administrator that you are going to use them
4) setup a cron entry that runs as 'root' once per hour.  Here is
   a representative example:

0 * * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate timeserver > /dev/null

You would replace 'timeserver' with the name of the timeserver that
you found from the Startum 2 page (or Stratum 1) listed above.

Talk to you later...

Tom