20030517: ldmadmin stop differences in LDM-6 (cont.)

>From: Chris Novy - Systems <address@hidden>

Hi Chris,

re: compiler being used to build LDM

>It says I'm using:
>
>Reading specs from
>/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.2/specs
>gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

OK.  This is not a really current version of gcc, but it is not
terribly out of date either.

re: how often you stop and restart your LDM

>Sometimes it's weeks between shutdowns.  I only do it when I make changes
>to the pqact.conf file or if there are major problems being reported and
>I want to clean things up  --not specifically knowing whether LDM is a
>causal factor.

The only reason you really need to stop and restart the LDM is after
you make changes in ldmd.conf.  Changes in pqact.conf can be made
active while things continue to run:

After making changes in pqact.conf, first checkto make sure that
ther are no syntax errors:

ldmadmin pqactcheck

If all is well, you will get a message like:

/local/ldm/etc/pqact.conf is syntactically correct

In this case, you can tell pqact to reread pqact.conf and use
the new entries with:

ldmadmin pqactHUP

Unfortunately, making changes in ldmd.conf does require a stop
and restart for the mods to take become active.

>From address@hidden Sun May 18 13:36:56 2003

Tom:

Thanks for the "mini workshop" and most of all your patience.

..Chris.,.