20030525: 20030525: LDM or McIDAS Feed Problem (cont.)

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Hi Jim,

>Again, thanks for the help.

No worries.

re: mammatus

>Yes, we are about to decommission mammatus a 7-year old RS6000. About
>the only thing that we have been using this for has been LDM. However,
>we no longer have any downstream feeds that seem to care about data--at
>least I haven't heard from any of them for quite some time. I'll plan a
>30 June 2003 sunset date on this and probably move any feeds over to
>snow. So, we would like to have snow with an LDM ready-to-go.

OK, the LDM is installed on snow, the queue is made, and things are
ready to go as soon as the ldmd.conf file is edited to add allows for
downstream sites and requests for feeds.  Since snow will be taking
over from mammatus, I would simply copy the ldmd.conf file from
mammatus over to snow and merge in the appropriate bits with the file
that is already there.  The merging will preserve the line that reports
real time statistics back to Unidata, and it gives an opportunity to
review the data requests and modify them where apporpriate.  For
instance, there is no reason to generate aliases for host names to
split feeds since LDM-6 does not accumulate separate requests to an
upstream host into a single request.  Also all requests should be made
to fully qualified host names instead of IPs -- where possible -- so
that the real time statistics reporting software will be able to trace
the origins of data products.

Please let me know if you see anything else amiss on either pscwx
or cyclone, or if you would like me to tune up the ldmd.conf file
on snow.