20030616: did something change at ULM? (cont.)

Adam

[Tom has asked me to help.]

> To: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: 20030614: did something change at ULM?

> On friday we shut down our I2 line and rerouted everything through the I1 to
> see if the I2 was what was wrong.  From what you said that is the case and we
> will be contacting bellsouth about our I2 line.

"I2" means "Internet-2".  I assume that "I1" means the commodity
Internet.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> Now for the problem.  LDM-6 is entirely unstable on tornado.  It has
> completely locked up the machine twice now.  I don' mean a process
> hung either, i mean a totally dead, black screen, can't ping lockup.

This indicates a problem with the operating system because a user
process should never have this affect.

> When i told you i just did not have time to put LDM-6 on tornado i had
> forgot about one time.  About acouple of months ago i had tried to put
> LDM-6 on tornado.  I had the result of tornado only lasting from 3
> days to less then 1 day before completely locking up.  I had thought
> that i had just done something wrong but since i did not have time to
> trouble shoot it i just put LDM-5 back on the machine.
>
> Now, it is doing the same thing as before.  Locking up solid.

> I looked at the ldm logs and at the time of the lockup the logs just
> stop.  There is no shutdown in the logs or anything, they just stop!.
>
> I'm rebootting the machine but not restarting the ldm so that you an
> look around and see if you can find the reason for the ldm locking up
> the machine.

I'm on Tornado now as the user "ldm" and LDM 6.0.13 is running.  I assume
you started it just after you rebooted the computer.

I'll be poking around.

> Thanks
>
> Adam
>
> ps..  When ldm-5 was on there, it had been running for 3 months straight
> without any problems.

I believe that you were losing data when the LDM 5 was running.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson