20030716: SDSMT upgrade to LDM-6

>From: "Kopp, Fred" <address@hidden>

Hi Fred,

I am writing to request that you upgrade your LDM installation to the
latest release, LDM-6.0.13.  The benefits of upgrading to 6 are many,
and you will help us out by also reporting real time statistics.

LDM-6 is only available as a source release, and we have no immediate
plans for producing binary releases.

We are willing to do the installation of LDM-6 for sites if given
appropriate system access (logins as 'ldm' and 'root').  One of the
things we do during an install is tune up the request entries in a
site's ldmd.conf file.  This is needed since LDM-6 takes a different
approach to requesting data than LDM-5.  One of the biggest differences
is that LDM-6 does not aggregate requests to an upstream host into a
single rpc.ldmd; this makes splitting feeds very easy.  The other big
thing, and this is for the reporting of real time statistics, is we ask
sites to make all requests to fully qualified host names, not IP
addresses.

If you decide to do the upgrade yourself, please make sure to add the
following line to your ldmd.conf file before starting LDM-6:

exec    "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

This should be the last 'exec' line in your ldmd.conf file.

Please let us know how we can help you upgrade to LDM-6!

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas