20030905: LDM-6 installation at UNCA (cont.)

>From: "Alex Huang" <address@hidden>

Alex,

>Thank you.  One side note, when the LDM workshop may be offered again next
>year or near future?

We hold training workshops every year.  This year's series of workshops
are being held in Boulder at the UCAR training facilities:

  The sessions are as follows:

  LDM Session 1: October 23 - October 25 (Thursday - Saturday)

  This session will cover LDM site administration. Topics will include
  LDM installation, configuration, tuning, and maintenance.  Also
  covered will be troubleshooting the LDM and its network connections.
  Attendees will be expected to have a working knowledge of Unix and
  Internet networking, including the following:

  * file-systems
  * system-logging
  * user-account administration
  * installing packages from source code
  * general concepts of Internet Protocol networking

  Note: Workshop material will cover two and one-half days. The
  afternoon of the third day will be available for those who would like
  assistance remotely installing, upgrading, or tuning their LDM
  installations.

  GEMPAK:  October 27 - October 29 (Monday - Wednesday)

  This workshop will describe how to use the GEMPAK package in a
  variety of real-time and research contexts. Topics covered will
  include general design concepts, graphical user interfaces, writing
  interactive and batch scripts, configuring decoders and data tables,
  use with archived and case study data sets, output device drivers,
  and data formats.

  LDM Session 2: October 30 - November 1 (Thursday - Saturday)

  LDM sessions 1 and 2 will cover the same material.  We are opening
  two sessions to accommodate more people.  Please refer to the
  description for LDM Session 1.

  Integrated Data Viewer (IDV): November 3 - November 4
  (Monday-Tuesday)

  The IDV is Unidata's newest analysis and visualization tool.  The
  workshop will cover installing and configuring the IDV, loading,
  displaying, and manipulating data, creating custom diagnostic
  functions, Jython scripting, educational content development, and
  multi-user collaborative aspects. If there is sufficient interest,
  the workshop will also cover developer issues such as creating custom
  applications, adding new data sources, and displays.

  McIDAS:  November 5 - November 8 (Wednesday - Saturday)

  Data access in McIDAS follows a client-server architecture known as
  the Abstract Data Distribution Environment (ADDE). This workshop will
  focus on ADDE concepts from both client and server perspectives
  including creating and publishing datasets. Additional topics will
  include:  McIDAS-X system installation and setup; installation and
  configuration of the McIDAS-XCD (McIDAS decoders for NOAAPORT
  datastream data) and LDM-MCIDAS packages (Unidata-Wisconsin
  datastream decoders); McIDAS scripting facilities; and manipulation
  of locally-held and remote image, point, and grid datasets.

  Note: We will attempt to cover all workshop material in three full
  days. Experience in previous workshops has shown, however, that
  covering all relevant topics will require a full four days.

>I will have a tough time to make a trip this semester
>for the workshop, but I am really thinking about it.

It would be great to see you if you can make it.

>Thanks,

Talk to you later...

Tom