20031002: LDM - HPUX 10.20 - ldmping

Mark,

>Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:59:42 -0500
>From: "Mark Ziemer" <address@hidden>
>To: "Steve Emmerson" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20030919: LDM - HPUX 10.20 - ldmping

> Since your email I have been checking the setup here.
>
> For testing, I have added a linux ldm server.
>
> The HPUX is running 5.2.2 and linux is running 6.0.14.
> This setup has no firewalls between the two servers.
>
> On the HP using rpcinfo I have versions 4 and 5 of ldmd.
> On the Linux I have version 5 and 6 of ldmd.
> While I can ldmping from linux to HP the reverse is not true.
> The logs do show errors in that linux is not allowing HP in.

What logs?  LDM or system?

What are the log messages, exactly?

> Using "ethereal" on linux I do get the wrong port number.
> HP is sending on 388, but linux is receiving on a different port.

The LDM on the Linux system isn't listening on port 388?  The only way
I can imagine this is if the rpc.ldmd program in the bin/ subdirectory
isn't set-uid-root.  Please send me a long listing of that file, e.g.

    cd $LDMHOME
    ls -l bin/rpc.ldmd

If it is set-uid-root, then would you please send me the output of
executing the "netstat" utility on the Linux system while the LDM is
running.

> Is it possible that the mismatch of the versions of ldmd
> is causing this problem?

It's not very likely.  LDM 6 is designed to be backward compatible
with LDM 5 and part of the testing of that aspect of the design was
a version 5 ldmping(1) connecting to a version 6 LDM.

> If so, how do I fix it.
>
> I am using the binary version of 5.2.2 for HPUX 10.20.

Any chance you can upgrade the HP-UX system to LDM 6?  We don't yet have
a binary version available, but installing from source only takes about
3 minutes.  If we can remotely-access the HP-UX system via the ssh(1)
utility as the LDM user, then we'd be happy to install it for you.

> Thanks for all of your help.
>
> Mark.....

Regards,
Steve Emmerson