20031025: LDM - solaris 8 - iam getting started on this

>From: "Karthik" <address@hidden>

Karthik,

>Institution: Western Michigan University / Department of Geography
>Package Version: LDM 6.0.14
>Operating System: solaris 8
>Hardware Information: sun blade 150
>Inquiry: Hello ,
>
>My current Status :
>--------------------------
>Iam getting started on LDM ( iam yet to install Mc Idas ).
>
>Currently our sunblade system has got some problems with the Frame buffer.
>So i will have to download the files from the server on to a different
>machine (iam using my laptop with windows XP on it). Then remotely transfer
>this file(s) to the sunblade system.
>
>Iam doing this using psftp.

I am not familiar with psftp.  The first thing to make sure of is that
the transfer is being done in binary mode.

>Problem:
>------------
>
>When i uncompress the file using the command :
>
>zcat ldm-major.minor.bugfix.tar.Z | tar xvf -
>
>iam getting an error that says "zcat: ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z: not in gzip format"
>
>Can you help me out with this?

The file is not in gzip format, it is compress format.  If the zcat
on your Solaris box is actually gunzip, and if you have uncompress,
unpack the file as follows:

uncompress ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z
tar xvf ldm-6.0.14.tar

By the way, if you are having problems with the LDM compressed tar
file, you will have the exact same problem with the McIDAS compressed
tar file when you get around to installing McIDAS.

>Thanks a lot.

No worries.

>Karthik Samudram Jayaraman

Tom Yoksas