20031123: split loop error in LDM-5.2 ldmadmin

>From: Teresa Van Hove <address@hidden>

Teresa,

>I'm getting a message I dont understand, trying to get ldm going on
>our newest installation.
>
>starting the LDM server...
>Split loop at /usr/local/ldm/bin/ldmadmin line 628.
>
>a ps -elf will then show nothing to indicate ldm is running.

This error has been reported previously.  The suggested solution
accessible using the search keys 'split loop' in the Unidata LDM
support archives:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghldm.html

was:

  Try replacing instances of

      ( @QUEUES ) = split( "[ \t\n]+", `ls $pq_path` );

  with

      ( @QUEUES ) = split( ' ', `ls $pq_path` );

This problem has been eliminated in current releases of the Unidata
LDM.  Our first suggestion would be for you to upgrade to the
latest LDM, LDM-6.0.14, instead of fighting problems that may
crop up in your use of LDM-5.x.

>And I have to issue ldmdadmin stop twice, the first one comes with a
>make_lockfile message
>$ ldmadmin stop
>stopping the LDM server...
>Nov 23 19:52:38 UTC cetus.cosmic.ucar.edu : make_lockfile: another
>ldmadmin process exists
>$ ldmadmin stop
>stopping the LDM server...
>LDM server stopped

This is another one of the quirks that has been corrected in current
LDM releases.

>The new ldm install is 5.2, rather than 5.1.2; and Karl set the data
>and logs to reside on /var/local/ldm with symbolic links to the
>ldmhome area, but I dont know why that would be problem.

It shouldn't be.

>ldmadmin delqueue and mkqueue commands ran just fine.
>
>Please advise how we might fix this.

The best solution is to install LDM-6.0.14.  It contains a large
number of fixes for LDM-5.x, and is much more capable of moving
large volumes of data.

>Thanks,
>Teresa
>--