20031201: ldm connection problems (cont.)

>From: "Charles Mcgill" <address@hidden>

Charles,

>Mark and I checked the rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog last week, and I changed
>the permissions to what they should be.  So that's problem was solved.

Good.  That will insure that the LDM communications use port 388.

>/etc/rpc and /etc/services are OK, but I may have a problem with
>syslogd.conf.  What should the entry in there look like?

Configuration of /etc/... files is described in the online
documentation for the LDM:

Unidata HomePage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu
  LDM HomePage
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu
    LDM-6.0.14
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/index.html
      LDM Basics

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/basics/index.html
        LDM Preinstallation Steps

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/basics/preinstallation.html

The last link contains the information on syslog.conf entries.
Basically, you will be adding an entry for local0.debug actions and
adding to an existing entry for local0.none actions.  Please note that
white space in /etc/syslog.conf may need to be tabs instead of spaces.

If your LDM is running on a Linux box, your /etc/syslog.conf entries
will look more-or-less like:

*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;local0.none
/var/log/messages

#
# LDM messages on local0
#
local0.debug                            /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

In this example, the LDM log file ldmd.log is located in the
/usr/local/ldm/logs directory.  If your setup is such that ~ldm/logs
is a link to a physically different directory, it is best to use
the exact directory instead of the link.

After making the necessary addition and modification to
/etc/syslog.conf, you will need to send a HUP signal to the syslogd
process.