20031201: LDM connection problems (cont.)

>From: "Charles Mcgill" <address@hidden>

Charles,

>Ok, the syslogd.conf file was already set up correctly.  Must be
>something else.

Just so that we are on the same page, exactly what must be something else?
Is your LDM not logging to the LDM log file?

In order for the LDM to write entries in its log file
(~ldm/logs/ldmd.log), it must have write permission to do so.  I
have seen instances where 'root' sets up /etc/syslog.conf so that
syslogd will write local0.debug messages to ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log before
the file is created and the file gets created and owned by 'root'.  In
this case, it is likely that the user running the LDM (typically 'ldm')
will not be able to write to the file.  To check to see if this is what
is going on, do a long listing of the LDM log file as the user 'ldm':

<login as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm/logs
ls -alt ldmd.log

If 'ldm' does not have write permission for the file, you will need
to:

1) stop the LDM

   ldmadmin stop

2) delete the log file

   rm -f ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log

3) create a new log file this time owned by 'ldm':

   touch ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log

4) restart the LDM

   ldmadmin start

The other thing you can do to troubleshoot is to use the system
utility 'logger'.  Here is an example:

logger -p local0.debug 'test of logging to ldmd.log'

>Does LDM have to be the owner or can it be someone else?

The LDM log file should be owned by the user 'ldm' (the user running
the LDM), and you should _never_ run the LDM as 'root'.

Tom

On Monday 01 December 2003 17:53, Charles Mcgill wrote:
> Ok, the syslogd.conf file was already set up correctly.  Must be
> something else.  Does LDM have to be the owner or can it be someone else?

The /etc/syslog.conf file should be owned by root and world readable (0644).
BTW, it is /etc/syslog.conf on my slackware and freebsd systems, not
/etc/syslogd.conf, RedHat may differ.  A simple way of testing the syslog
facility is to use the logger program:

"logger -is -p local0.debug THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE"

This should put a message in the appropriate file as defined by your
syslog.conf file.

--
Mark Tucker
Meteorology Dept. Systems Administrator

>From address@hidden Mon Dec  1 11:13:58 2003

My bad.  It is syslog.conf and the ownership and permissions are as they
should be.

--
Chuck

>From address@hidden Mon Dec  1 11:16:57 2003

I just meant that everything seems to check out as it should be, at
least those files you wanted me to check.  So, it must be something
else.  The logging is going to ldmd.log as it should be.

--
Chuck