20031202: Problems with pqsurf/pqact... how best to assist?

Steven,

>Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:23:26 -0600
>From: Steven Danz <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Problems with pqsurf/pqact... how best to assist?

> It looks as though I've been having issues (read: core dumps) with
> pqact writing gdb files since 5.2.2 on Linux and didn't realize it.  I
> first thought pqsurf was having issues, but it appears to be pqact.
> I've switched over to 6.0.14, and the problem is still there.

The gdbm(3)-using component of the pqact(1) utility is very old.  Are
you sure you still need to use it?

> I'm
> wondering the best way to get information to you to help diagnose the
> problem.

A stack-dump of a pqact(1) core file with full debugging information
would be a good place to start.  You might have to rebuild pqact(1)
with the "-g" option and reinstall it.

> I've tried valgrind (a memory check program on Linux) and
> it has reported some potential uninitialized memory errors that could
> impact this, I'm still digging into it.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> --
> Steven Danz
> Senior Software Development Engineer
> Aviation Weather Center (NOAA/NWS/NCEP)
> 7220 NW 101st Terrace, Room 101
> Kansas City, MO 64153-2371
>
> Email: address@hidden
> Phone: 816.584.7251
> Fax:   816.880.0650
>
> The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those
> of the National Weather Service, or the Aviation Weather Center.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson
LDM Developer