20040203: detecting proper incorporation of gdbm library

Neil,

>Date: 03 Feb 2004 14:03:31 -0600
>From: "Neil R. Smith" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040203: detecting proper incorporation of gdbm library

> Would that be the LDLIBS initialization, or LINKS? I'd feel safer if you
> could provide the entry and where.

Assuming that you have a standard-conforming user-shell (e.g.,
bash(1), ksh(1)) then try the following (if you're using a csh(1)-like
user-shell, then you'll have to adjust the output redirection syntax):

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Execute the "configure" script:

            ./configure >configure.log 2>&1

    4.  Edit the file "pqsurf/Makefile".  Change the following line

            LDLIBS  = -lm

            LDLIBS  = -lm $(GDBMLIB)

        This ensures that the same GDBM library that is used to build
        the pqact(1) utility will also be used to build the pqsurf(1)
        utility.  The macro GDBMLIB is defined in the file "macros.make"
        in the top-level source-directory.

    5.  Build the LDM package:

            make >make.log 2>&1

    6.  Stop your LDM system so that installation of the rebuilt
        pqsurf(1) utility doesn't cause a running one to crash:

            ldmadmin stop

    7.  Install just the new pqsurf(1) utility:

            cd pqsurf && make install

    8.  If necessary recreate your GDBM database(s) (I don't know if
        this step is necessary).

    9.  Restart your LDM system:

            ldmadmin start

Please let me know if this helps.