20040204: LDM ingesting EMWIN data

Michael,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Michael Davis" <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM and EMWIN

> Good Morning!  I am the Information Technology Officer here at the NWS
> in Nashville, TN.  We use LDM in several cases here at our office.

Cool!

> I am
> emailing you to ask a question regarding the use of LDM to capture EMWIN
> feeds via serial port/network.  Can this be done from either method?  I
> have been doing alot of research and have not come up with the answer
> yet.

In the LDM world, "capturing" a data feed means that an LDM ingester
process obtains the data somehow (e.g., from a serial port) identifies
the relevant data-products and inserts those data-products into the LDM
product-queue.  More information can be found at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/basics/programs.html#ingesters

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/basics/generic-LDM.html

The pqing(1) program, which comes with the LDM distribution, is
an example of an LDM ingester.  It is designed to be modified, as
necessary, to ingest a new source of data-products.

Looking over the contents of the EMWIN data feed, however, I can't help
but wonder why you would want to ingest it.  The 9600 bps EMWIN feed
doesn't appear to contain anything that isn't already on the NOAAPORT
feeds -- which, as a WFO, you should already be receiving.

> I look forward to hearing from you.
>

> --
> Michael E. Davis - address@hidden
> Information Technology Professional