RE: 20040505: CRAFT data hardware

Thanks, Karen.  I didn't know that!

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Cooper [mailto:address@hidden]
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 12:07 PM
To: address@hidden
Cc: Robert Mullenax; address@hidden
Subject: Re: 20040505: CRAFT data hardware

FYI: regarding the scour script.

On linux a simple modification to the scour script can allow you to
remove files on the order of minutes (instead of the default days).   It
also works on Solaris if you install gfind and use it as opposed to the
Solaris find command.

The change is:

original:
  find . -type f -mtime +$FINDAGE -name "$pattern" -exec rm -f {} \;) \

new:
  find . -type f -mmin +$FINDAGE -name "$pattern" -exec rm -f {} \;) \

The just modify your scour settings to be minutes not days.

This has worked very well on many of my systems where I ony keep 1-4
hours of data at a time.

Tom Yoksas wrote:

>>From:  Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>
>>

>Hi Robert,
>

>>Can some of you that are receiving CRAFT data and using dcnexr2 to decode
it
>>give me an idea of what hardware setup you have (CPUS, disk, RAM) and how
>>many sites you are receiving.
>>

>The UPC currently ingests and decodes (uncompresses and files via
>dcnexr2) all CRAFT sites on two different PC platforms:
>
>FreeBSD (4.9-STABLE)
>2 x Athlon 2400+
>Tyan SN2466N-4M motherboard
>2 x 1 GB RAM
>300 GB hardware RAID (Adaptec RAID card)
>
>Fedora Core 1 (2.4.22-1.2188.nptlsmp)
>2 x Athlon 2800+
>Tyan SN2466N-4M motherboard
>3 x 1 GB RAM (was running with 1 GB until Monday)
>500 GB software RAID (my experience with the Promise Tech TX2000 under
Linux
>                      was not rewarding)
>
>Both systems are ingesting ALL datastreams available through the IDD
>and decoding everything with GEMPAK decoders, most with McIDAS-XCD
>decoders, several with our netCDF decoders, and running the ADDE remote
>server.
>
>Our experience is that the FreeBSD platform performs measurably better
>than the one running Fedora Core 1.  This may or may not have something
>to do with the hardware RAID on the FreeBSD system.  I have been
>experimenting with various tunings on the Linux system to see if we can
>better performance, the most notable of which was writing a scouring
>script in Tcl and using it to prune the number of files kept in the
>nexrad/craft (64), nexrad/NIDS (64), and images/sat (96) directory
>trees used by GEMPAK decoders.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tom
>--
---+
>* Tom Yoksas                                             UCAR Unidata
Program *
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*

--
address@hidden