20040507: met_research3 clocl is drifting (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Hi Mai,

>Thanks for your note.
>
>As I still can access unidata's timeserver and my
>clock is still drifted => Is that meant that the time
>needed for me to get the time from your server is too
>slow which causes the delay in our clock? And that's
>why you suggested me to synchronize with a closer
>timeserver? I will try to find a nearby server then.

Is your system setup to run ntpdate from 'root's cron using our time
server?  It doesn't appear to be working and this is why the clock is
drifting.

There is no problem in using our time server even though it is
electronically distant from you.  The time setting algorithms take into
account the delay between the client and server, so this is not a
problem.  My comment was meant to indicte that if you already have a
timeserver setup locally, you might as well use it.

To check to see if you really can still use our time server,
do the following as 'root':

/usr/sbin/ntpdate timeserver.unidata.ucar.edu

If this works, and if there is still a cron entry to run it
every 15 minutes, then you should be OK.  If it doesn't work,
it may mean that your firewall rules may be setup to not allow
transactions through the appropriate port.  In that case we
will provide you with infomation on how to change those rules.

>I've been trying to make some scripts to make some
>products for our purposes. It's interesting to play
>with GEMPAK programs!

Yes, it can do a lot.

>I have some questions to Chiz about GEMPAK. Should I
>send a separate  email for him? (I noticed that you
>have only one email address).

Yes, please send your GEMPAK questions in a separate email to
support, and Chiz will answer them.