20040513: LDM problem: Denying connection from localhost.local domain

Rodney,

>Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:45:38 -0700
>From: "Jacques, Rodney" <address@hidden>
>To: "'Steve Emmerson'" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20040512:LDM problem: Denying connection from localhost.local
>domain

> I did restart the ldm system but got the same error.
>
> I have enclosed the ldmd.conf and pqact.conf files for you to look at.

The LDM configuration-file (ldmd.conf) is the important one.  Here are
my comments on it.

> exec  "pqexpire"

You should remove the above line.  The pqexpire(1) utility is no longer
necessary.

> ALLOW ANY     ^localhost\.localdomain$

The above entry should allow an downstream LDM on host
"localhost.localdomain" to get data from your LDM.  The fact that you're
seeing the same error indicates that one of my assumptions is wrong.

The error message

> May 12 17:16:50 granite rpc.ldmd[1431]: Denying connection from
> localhost.localdomain

Means that the IP address of the downstream host is converted to the
name "localhost.localdomain" on your system.  Because "localhost" is a
special name (it refers to the computer trying to resolve the name) the
message means that a downstream LDM on Granite was attempting to connect to
the LDM on Granite.  The LDM configuration-file for Granite indicates
that no such REQUEST entry exists.  Therefore, I suspect that Granite is
converting a non-Granite IP address into the hostname
"localhost.localdomain".  This indicates a problem with your "resolver"
mechanism and should be brought to the attention of your system
administrator (show them this paragraph).

Let me know what they say.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson