20040526: bigbird status (cont.)

>From:  Gerry Creager N5JXS <address@hidden>

Hi Gerry,

>IM==Instant Messaging... Sometimes convenient for on-line communications
>while remote troubleshooting...

I should have known...

>I've seen the RAID failure on reboot several times.

Interesting...  Did you run fsck (or variant) to get things patched
up before remounting the RAID filesystem?

>I really want to
>get rid of this card and get into a 3Ware card.  New 'Net find today
>suggests that, as suspected, Promise's proprietary RAID is less than
>advertised.  They said nicer things 'bout HighPoint, but the only "real
>RAID" comments were reserved for Adapeptec and 3Ware... noting Adaptec
>followed 3Ware's lead.

I believe that Pete Pokrandt of U Wisc/AOS is using a 3Ware card in
his Linux PC.

>effectively, when rebooting, the system times out while flushing the
>product queue now.

Product queue?  If you mean LDM product queue, that is on a different
file system.  Also, I did not see a startup script for the LDM
in /etc/init.d, so I added one:

/etc/init.d/ldmd

Since this wasn't there on reboot, the LDM queue would not have
been checked by it.

>That apparently is tied to the RAID corruption in
>some manner.  If we really saw a RAID corruption while running today,
>that's a first for me on this system.  Further, there's spares.  It
>should have alarmed and fixed itself.

I agree, but the load average did go up to 400...

>I'll keep looking.  By doing the reboot, we did salvage the messages
>logs, and there might be some clues.

OK.

>Thanks for spotting the problem.  I was working on bigfoot and didn't
>even look at bigbird today, save to place it on a KVM.  Hmmm.  It's
>possible that caused a hiccup, but it shouldn't have.  It's been in idle
>state WRT the monitor, keyboard, mouse for weeks.  The reboot for the
>box is serendipitous.  I wasn't planning to reboot 'til needed anyway,
>so I'd not have had console access (at least for X) 'til I did.
>Keyboard and video worked as expected...

OK.

>Later, gerry

fsck.jfs is still running on /dev/md0, and it will
take time to finish.  I will try to look in on bigbird later tonight
or early tomorrow morning.  As soon as fsck.jfs finishes, I will try
to mount /data and crank up the LDM.

Time to head home...

Tom