20040527: bigbird rises from the ashes :-)

>From: Anne Wilson <address@hidden>

Anne,

>Thanks much for keeping me in the loop.  I'm learning a few things -

Me too!

>what is a "chunk size" anyway?

It is the size of read/write blocks on disk.  One part of tuning a
RAID is to match the block size (chunk-size) with the formatting
of the file system and, if using a hardware RAID, with the block
size for the hardware.

>In the meantime, I'll start up NLDM.

OK, good.  Gerry and I have agreed to keep the current setup running
for a few days to see how things work.  My last note to him noted that
bigbird is running extremely well at the moment, so changing anything
is not yet needed.  If you look at ~ldm/logs/bigbird.uptime, you will
see that the load average is staying below 3 and averaging something
more like 1.4.  We will see how things go as the RAID file system /data
fills.

We also talked about renaming bigbird to phoenix since it keeps rising
out of the ashes :-)

>From address@hidden  Thu May 27 11:26:46 2004

Tom,

Thanks for the info.  And, glad to hear bigbird is happy now.

I see have to rebuild some stuff on bigbird... yet again... I kept the
big files on the /data partition, but INN also expects some
housekeeping-type files to be in the same directories.  sigh

Next time if I have notice I could move stuff off, so if things are
gonna change and you get notice please let me know.

Anne