20040604: setup of bigbird and Level II data (cont.)

>From: Gerry Creager <address@hidden>

Hi Gerry,

>I like the idea of adding a THREDDS server to the box.  It'd provide a
>community service, potentially, and we appear to have the horsepower.
>
>Where do you want me to start?

Now that I know that you are interested, I will put you in the queue
for getting OPeNDAP installed on bigbird.  In the meantime, I could
install McIDAS for its ADDE services.  I would love to hold off on
this until I get the v2004 release shaped up enough for an install,
however.  The current hope is to have a generally accessible release
in place by the end of the first week of July.

>re: NICs, I'm emplacing Intel copper GBE combo NICs, at about $40 ea.,
>so that when I get the full-up GBE infrastructure for Mesonet (soon,
>too!) we can accommodate it.

OK.  For reference, we have had a bad experience with an Intel GB
Ethernet card in the past.  It probably has no relevance now since
that was 3-4 years ago.

>Otherwise, I agree.  the $9 (I shop the ham radio flea markets) 3C509s
>are a bargain and tend to just work.

It is hard to beat a 10/100 Ethernet card that is supported on
virtually every OS for around ten bucks :-)

>*ANOTHER QUESTION* since you seem to actually know all the players...

Hmm... this sounds like a setup

Try: Wei Wang <address@hidden> or Jordan Powers <address@hidden>

>heat.tamu.edu is the head-node of a 16-node, dual Opteron cluster
>designed to run WRF and MM5 for the HEAT project down here.  I can't get
>the standard scripts to behave since uname -m returns 'x86_64' and none
>of the scripts recognize that.  I've started script-hacking to fix the
>problem but it's not completely fixed.  WRF appears installed and happy,
>but WRFSI won't produce the core programs, including GUI, and the error
>messages are less than informative.  I've tried the list-serve a bit,
>but the responses aren't necessarily timely.  I'm betting someone over
>therere has Linux/Opteron experience and can help quickly, but I've no
>idea, save the list, how to get them on the phone.
>
>Suggestions?

The only thing I can come up with is trying to contact either Wei
Wang or Jordan Powers.  I am not sure that either of these folks
are the correct contact, but Jo Hansen suggested you try them
first.

>Thanks!

No worries.