20040610: MD5 checksum, deduplication, etc.

Stonie,

The LDM does not calculate the signature in transmission. It is
only calculated by the host origin at insertion.

It is somewhat like a contract, the downstream sites take it on faith that
the MD5 is valid and unique. So long as all sites concerned understand
what the limitations on the data stream/MD5 are, you are ok.
If you send the unaltered data with an MD5 that was arrived at from a modified
product, the only problem would be that someone couldn't arrive at the same
signature later if reinserting, without modifying the calculation scheme
to match the original.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support