20040615: Quick update on weather3.admin.niu.edu... (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

re: important information about latest FC1 kernel

>Yep. That didn't make things better (or worse).

re: using software RAID instead of hardware RAID

>That's what I have. Works great!

I agree.  If support for hardware RAID cards was better in Linux,
I think we would see measurably better performance when using
hardware RAID.  But, alas...

re: Gerry's dual Xeon machine is a smokin unit

>(high-pitched whistle)...nice!

Yup, it is running very nicely now.

re: don't see RAID on weather3

>Nope. Only weather has the RAID.

OK.  So, Gerry's comment shouldn't have any bearing on your setup.

re: What memory do you have installed in weather3

>DDR RAM, 400 MHZ. I actually now suspect it is bad RAM, based on Kevin
>Thomas' emails to me as well. So...

OK.

re: problem seen with large LDM queue test (4 GB) under FC2

Jun 14 18:17:36 johnny rpc.ldmd[10591]: Starting Up (version: 6.0.14; built:
Jun 14 2004 12:12:28)
Jun 14 18:21:15 johnny rpc.ldmd[10591]: assertion "pq->rlp->nalloc ==
pq->nalloc && pq->tqp->nalloc == pq->nalloc && pq->sxp->nalloc == pq->nalloc"
failed: file "pq.c", line 3917

I ran under FC2 using a 2 GB queue for awhile, and the machine crashed
several times.  This was determined to be an FC2 problem, that was
unrelated to running the LDM (other than running the LDM made the machine
do some work).

>OK. Well, bad RAM it is then. It's under warranty from the grant, so I
>will have it opened up today or tomorrow, and get a replacement.

The other possibility related to RAM is the DIMM slots themselves.  Have
you tried swapping the DIMMS around?  This might tell you that it is
RAM before trying to get replacements.